Friday, June 13, 2014

Making Camerino home...

10 giugno

We went to the sea and to Loreto today! The sea was nice but it wasn't what I had expected. I'd even venture to day it's the least favorite view I've seen in Italy. Perhaps this is because I'm not a huge fan of the beach in the first place but after experiencing jaw drop after jaw drop at the sight of new landscapes, it really was kind of a let down for me. I'm glad Fernanda coaxed me into the water though. She reminds me so much of one of my best friends back home. The way she acts and how she says things. There is even a physical resembles at times. It seems to me that I often do this with new people I meet - recognize in them characteristics of people I know from home. It is also usually when I am in a new place like my freshman year in college or first time abroad that it happens most intensely. Maybe it is an adjustment mechanism. I'm not sure but I quite enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, I still recognize the uniqueness in each if the people I meet. It's just that my fondness for them grows when I identify them with one that I already love. It makes me feel more comfortable and familiar in a strange or new place. I think that many of us have these sorts of mechanisms to help us feel at home when we aren't. And I think it's both normal and healthy or at least I really hope so.

For those who don't know, Loreto, Italy is the home of the "Black Madonna" and the alleged house of Mary brought over from Nazareth. I use the word "alleged" because many things such as this in the Church are highly contested. I am not writing to give my opinion on the matter but merely stating this fact. However you interpret it, it was beautiful to see the Marian devotion that filled the church giving me hope in a place where religious piety is, let's just say, less than satisfactory.
Speaking of being satisfied, there was a side chapel in the church dedicated to Adoration and the Blessed Sacrament was exposed! How wonderful to see Jesus again outside of the consecration and moment of receiving Him! I sat and prayed there for at least 30 minutes. I wanted to do more. I again was overwhelmed by the feeling that although I was surrounded by beautiful artwork and adornments, there was nothing in that church that could compare to the beauty and richness of The Lord. I wanted to stay there clinging to Him always where I would be safe and unexposed to the challenges and trials of every day life. But I had to consider what our Holy Mother's last words in the Bible are: "do whatever He tells you." There in the church that contains the house of Mary, I was reminded that it will always feel like home to be in a church with Him in His sacramental presence but I will always be called out to share the testimony of my experiences there. (Alla Casa mia)
Ju and I ready for the sea!
the church in Loreto


12 giugno

Tony cutting up the mouth watering ribs!
Last night was the "cena internazionale" (international dinner) at which the students at the school represented their country with a signature dish. Since there is literally only one other person from the states, we teamed up with the lone participant from Belgium and the Canadians. It turned out to be a really fun night. Tony, the woman from California, and I made pork ribs in the oven (because there are no pits here - shame!) and covered them with my Mom's BBQ sauce. Remarkably I found all of the needed ingredients in Italy - even worchesterschire sauce which is simply Worcester sauce here (I think its the same thing...?). They were a huge hit and I even handed out much requested recipes (in both Italian and English) to a couple of Brazilian ladies today. The evening was very fun. We shared our diverse cultures with each other in order to celebrate our unity and come closer together. An Argentinian couple even danced the tango and the group from Mexico sang a popular Mexican song.

Side note: Camerino is so wonderful and small. Not a day passes that I don't see a familiar face outside of my program. The city center is filled with ma and pa stores and life long neighbors. I have completely fallen in love with this place, these people, and my classmates. I dread even the thought of this month ending and us all going back to our own far end of the earth.

Speaking of goodbyes, today was my last evening with the whole house as three of our girls leave this weekend. They only registered for the 2 week program and are either headed home or off for more European adventures. I am truly going to miss this bunch. I was so blessed with beautiful roommates with whom I've shared inside jokes, painful humiliations, and deep conversations.
After dinner we transferred to the bar to watch some soccer. That's big in Italy; who'd have thought! There is a decent sized group of Brazilians here (one of which is my closest friend) and it was really fun to watch Brazil beat Croatia with them. I didn't understand everything that was going on being that my idea of "football" is slightly different but it was quite an experience listening to the Brazilians attempt to express their emotions in Italian with an excited Portuguese word slipping out every now and then. Man I'm gonna miss this!

My two Brazilian beauties: Ju and Fernanda!


Sim and Catherine!

Fernanda just being Fernanda! Gotta love her!

Daily Routine

It's hard to believe that I've actually been her for 2 weeks already but alas it is true! This is both awesome and terrifying at the same time because it means I've discovered my place here but it also means I'm half way done (but we won't discuss that now!). I'd like to give you a better idea of what I actually do while I'm here so I'm going to describe to you, as best I can because every day is different, what a typical (although its a stretch to say there is such a thing here) day in Camerino looks like for me.
 
7:00 am - wake up and eat breakfast
8:00 am - leave for mass and take out whatever trash goes out that day (Camerino is unbelievably ahead in the "going green" movement as far as recycling and separating trash goes)
8:30 am - finish rosary and participate in daily mass celebrated by either Don Giancarlo or Don Mariano
9:15 am - 1:15 pm lesson at the school with a break from 11:15-11:35
After this nothing is very typical...
Depending on the day, I grab lunch either at the house or from a nearby pizzeria. Some afternoons involve an excursion to a nearby town like Loreto or Assisi, which is next week. (I can't wait!). At some point I sneak in my holy hour at whatever church is open. Between about 1 and 4:30 pm all of the stores close down in town so I don't ever go grocery shopping during this time. Rarely but sometimes I study. In the evenings either the girls and I cook and stay in or go out for dinner and meet up with others at the local bar or an event taking place in town like the Jazz Festival that was here last weekend.
11:00 pm - getting to sleep before this time is a rare delicacy but I fully embrace it if the opportunity presents itself.
 
Hope this gave you a clearer picture of what is happening for me these days. Be assured that I am overflowing with joy and surrounded by reminders of how much the Lord loves little-bitty undeserving me! The world really is a beautiful place filled with beautiful people. Diversity is such a blessing and we have much to learn from each other. I pray for each of you every day. Please remember to feel free to send any prayer intentions you have my way (via facebook, email, or the comments below). Thank you for your prayers! (15:37 Camerino)

No comments:

Post a Comment