Friday, June 6, 2014

Gubbio

At the top of the mountain and the franciscan monestary in Gubbio.
4 giugno

So class is going great! It's quite difficult and humbling actually because I'm behind the rest of my class as far as speaking and understanding goes but my grammar is quite good when reading and writing (thank you Fabiana e Manuela). My teacher, Gianni, is really fun and he does a great job. There are no other Americans from the States in my class. Of course, there are only about 12 of us in it. There a a few Argentinians, a woman from Belgium, a Spanish lady, a Brazilian, an italian, and a girl from England. It's diverse and fun. Our common tongue is italian so it's good practice for all of us.
Class is normally from 9.15-1.15 each day which is perfect because I found a morning mass at St. Giacomo at 8.30. It's near enough to the school that I finish my thanksgiving after communion (10 minutes of resting in the presence of my Lord I just received in the Eucharist) just in time to make it over to class. The first day I had trouble finding the church and after mustering up enough courage I finally asked a woman I saw ("come si trova...?") and smiling she pointing behind me ("questo") linked arms with me and took me in. She sits in the pew next to mine. I discovered that she is in what looks to be the italian version of the altar society with another lady because each day they stare at the flowers or altar cloth and argue (quite loudly I must admit) about whether or not its good enough. Today they tried to get me in on the debate but I resisted with all I had and returned to praying my rosary. Before each mass the small group gathered pray a series of prayers together. One is the Regina Caeli in italian which is a popular prayer to Mary during the Easter season, but there are others I don't know. After mass today, Don GianCarlo approached me and gave me a copy of the prayers they say. He then engaged in conversation with me about where I from and how long my flight was. I didn't understand that question so imagine an italian priest using his arms to flap as wings to explain the meaning to me. It's very helpful but difficult to live in a town where English isn't very widely known. I am already attached to this small congregation who seem to marvel at my presence there each day. I doubt any of them guessed that this past Monday morning I would interrupt their same-ole-same-ole by adding myself to the daily mass crew. It almost seems like I bring excitement to the parish. Something to talk about - a young American student from Texas attending daily mass with her printed out italian mass parts. This can't be a common occurrence and I happily embrace the role.
Today we traveled to Gubbio-a small town in Umbria. It was so beautiful but it seems that every place here is. I have yet to tire of looking out my window to check and make sure the green screen hasn't been removed yet because the landscape seriously seems unreal. I wouldn't doubt it I'm annoying my roommates because I constantly comment on its beauty. What wonderful handiwork You do Lord!
I also had my first experience of real italian gelato in Gubbio and boy was that a mistake! It was awesome!! I can't compare it to Blue Bell because gelato is not ice cream. The texture and flavoring is much different. So don't worry Dad, in my opinion, Blue Bell still (and probably forever will) be the best producer of ice cream and Italy, as it should be, produces the best gelato.
There is a Franciscan monastery atop the mountain on the side of the town that one can ride up to on a cage like thing operating like a ski lift. It takes you to the top and exposes you not only to more beautiful sites but a beautiful church as well. The church contains the body of Saint Ubaldo who is the patron of the town of Gubbio (He protects the town from danger or harm). I made this trip with Fernanda - a new friend I made from Brazil who speaks some italian. It is good for me to speak italian in a setting other than the classroom and when I do it long enough, it starts to become more natural. It was also fun to share with her about things we liked and did in our home countries. I am in a culture-lovers paradise being one of two from the States (yes I found a Californian!). I can immerse myself in all these other countries by hearing their language, watching their behavior, listening to stories about their lives. It's quite the international experience here!
Also as a side note that is understandably important for me to say for those who know me well: Italy has a lot more dogs than I expected. People are always walking their dogs here (into stores, restaurants, and all). And sadly enough, the dogs seem to understand italian better than me!
I think that's it for now. Sorry that you are probably reading this way past when I am writing it. Believe me, being without internet is quite a different experience than in the States, but I gotta say, I kinda like it. I don't have time to be on the internet here anyways and it gives me a chance to get my nose out of my phone/laptop and see the world around me. Thanks for your patience and as always, let me know of any prayer requests you have. God, therefore prayer, is outside of time so even if my internet isn't working and I don't get your intention until later, it doesn't mean I can no longer pray for it so keep them coming! Ciao for now! (21.14 My bedroom in Camerino)

5 giugno
Silence is Golden
It's true that one realizes how much they care for something only after they don't have it. This is my experience with silence at least. I am never alone. I'm either with my roommates in the house, at school with my classmates, or on the streets with the rest of the town. After awhile, with the exhaustion of constantly being around others, it can turn into an introvert's nightmare, but today I found my refuge in the only pair of arms that makes sense: that of the Lord's. How silly of me not to think of this sooner and how fitting that I'd most enjoy my solitude together with the Divine Other. He is my Creator after all. If I can't be myself with Him then what hope do I have of ever truly knowing and being myself? Slim to none I'd say.

Catastrophe #1
So...my debut card was blocked today. Before you start asking if I called the bank to get a travel plan on it, yes. I did...twice. And I used it here once and It worked but it's what I did this morning that sealed the deal I believe. I needed to get cash out cuz I was running low and the extra excursions (like that to San Marino and Urbino this weekend) require cash. So I went to the "bancomat" (aka ATM) and tried to withdrawal money. First I did everything and no money came out so I asked a couple behind me for help in my broken italian which came out quite well in my time of desperation. And then I did the same thing again and realized I had asked for too much money. So I tried it a third time but used the wrong PIN number. In the famous words of my own young mouth years ago, "way to go smart one." The fourth time I tried it, I used the right pin it was denied and therefore my other card was denied also. Great right? Sort of actually because it got me a call with my parents and hearing their voices was wonderful. They reassured me and mom promised to call the back right away. I really have the greatest parents ever! Unfortunately though, the call brought forth my first feelings of homesickness. I seriously almost cried when he said he had to go but I was in a public place and was able to pull myself together without even letting him know which is for the best (Cat's out of the bag now though I suppose eh Daddy?).
I'm sure this will be a fun story to recount of my travels one day. That is, if I get the card turned back on. But as the theme I accepted for my summer says I must "accept things as they are."

There's a jazz festival in town tonight and the roommates and I are going to go to it after we have supper. I want to go somewhere where I can get meat! I live with three vegetarians and the only meat I've had has been thin slices of ham. Not exactly the normal meat for a Texan. Wish me luck! (19:12 alla casa mia a Camerino)

No comments:

Post a Comment