Friday, June 6, 2014

Last day in Rome, First day in Camerino!

The lovely Americans in formation with the AVI!
Leave Rome, Arrive in Camerino!

The play was awesome. Go roman seminarians! Haha it was hilarious and I was super impressed at the time they must have put into it. It was fun going out with the girls too.
I have only been in Rome for 3 days and it already hurts my heart to leave it.
Mass helped calm my fears. He promises to be with us always. Indeed I am not alone. He is with me!
Seeing Our Lady of Perpetual Help is always a confirming sign for me and we passed her church on the way out of Rome.
Waiting for the bus, as nerves continued to elevate, I noticed a group gathering near our meeting spot and soon discovered it was my classmates. The adults far outweigh the college-aged students thus far but for some reason this put me more at ease then a group of kids my age. The group is fun and seem to have come in pairs or all together since they get along very well. I haven't said much yet. I'm trying to overcome my shyness in an unfamiliar crowd in order to make friends for the duration of my program. So far I noticed a girl that looked near my age whose passport read Brazil and another who was speaking Spanish and came with what looks to be her mother and aunt. Otherwise, I am waiting to see what the airport has to offer me for more classmates. I'm feeling better - more confident and comfortable with the idea of going to a new place to continue my study of a language still quite foreign to me (at least when it comes to conversations). I'm excited for the bus ride to see more of Italy and especially for the arrival in Camerino to see my residence for the month of June. Their town festival will be just finishing up when we arrive so it should be pretty lively and filled with culture! But although my excitement is growing for this program, I am most excited to return to Rome to be with the Sisters again for another beautiful several days spent both in Rome and in Cortina which some say have the most beautiful mountains in the world! (10:09 Roma Airport)

So somehow with my broken italian, I find myself dressed up in medieval garb prepared to walk in a parade to celebrate Camerino. Haha how did this happen? Although ,I am waiting for Anna - the professoressa that invited me to this - outside the school as planned and she hasn't yet come out so hopefully she does soon. :/ I would feel more weird standing here like this except many other people are. The idea was to look around the town and try to find mass times but alas I find myself here instead. "Dove sei Anna?!" (15:40 pm Camerino)

I am the second from the right posing with a random Italian family!


Well the festival was great and I even got some pictures for y'all! It reminded me of the renaissance festival with everyone dressed up and others watching. There was a whole ceremony and parade. Needless to say I walked many a mile today on steep cobble stone roads. Camerino is beautiful. The whole Marche region actually is quite mind shattering. Who knew this kind of beautiful landscape existed outside of fairytales. Not I! Again I can't enforce enough the fact that the pictures I take cannot and will not do this place justice. However, I will share the best that I have. After the parade which I ducked out of early, I decided to scope out the churches in the area. In Camerino there are too many for the amount of priests so some are not functioning. I was specifically looking for the daily mass times of the closest ones and found one for 8:30. My normal schedule has class starting at 9 so we will see if I am allowed enough time to get from the mass to the school. Tomorrow school doesn't start until 10:00 so I can comfortbly test it out. I met my roommates. Or at least 4 of them. There is supposed to be a fifth bunking with me but she hasn't arrived yet. Two of my roommates are Canadian, 1 is Brazilian, and the other is Norwegian. They all speak English which is very relieving but I was kinda hoping to be forced into Italian 24/7. Earlier at the festival with Anna she complimented my italian and it made me feel really good. Apparently she was understanding me and I understood her too for the most part. Unfortunately my vocabulary is not very strong so that can sometimes throw the whole sentence off for me but it will come...with time. It's kind of early but I am turning into bed. Big day tomorrow with the placement test and all (pray for me) and I am totally exhausted from my extra long walk today. Hopefully it doesn't stay so noisy outside for long. Right now it seems the festival continues as italian men sing at the top of their lungs words I don't understand. We live on the main strip though so I suppose I should expect it. Despite this, the location is awesome because it is super close to the school and right near many places to eat. It's a very spacious apartment too. We are very fortunate. As the first one here, I picked the bedroom with the killer view. I wish y'all could see it. It really is straight out of one of disney's finest princess stories. Well, with that I must bid you goodnight...in italian. Buonanotte! (22:19 Camerino)

Why I picked the back bedroom!


No comments:

Post a Comment