Friday, June 6, 2014

Seeing Camerino through another's eyes...

2 giugno

So today was placement test day here at La Scuola di Dante Alighieri and boy were there nerves in the air. However, as nerdish as this sounds, I happen to like tests. It's a challenge to see how much you really know and, if I've studied, it's a challenge I readily and enthusiastically accept. I felt like I did rather well but we will see where I am placed tomorrow.
Since today is a national holiday for Italians everywhere, the festival continued and school was closed in the afternoon. Yay! So, the roommates and I bustled over to the tiny and crowded grocery/meat store to get food for lunch, supper, breakfast, and tomorrow's lunch. (Tomorrow evening we travel to a supermarket to get more food). For lunch we had open faced meat and cheese sandwiches and open faced Nutella "sandwiches".
As an aside, I'd like to introduce you to my roommates. The first I met was Julianne. She is from Brazil and studying law. Then there is Anna and Simona who came together. They are Canadian but Anna was born in Russia. I don't know yet what Anna studies but she is very into photography, and Simona studies english. They live in Montreal. Pernilla is Norwegian and reminds me so much of an old friend of mine. She is very carefree and fun but always makes sure everyone is comfortable in each situation. I am not sure what she studies but she sings jazz music. Finally the last to arrive is who shares my room: Catherine. She is Canadian also but from Quebec and she studies classical singing. Unfortunately but fortunately they all speak English so that's our go-to when we are together. Only two of us have studied italian in the past (Catherine and I). I love these girls though. I am having much fun with them learning about new things, shattering stereotypes, and discovering a new land together.
Anyways, this afternoon was quite interesting. Today is the feast of Camerino's very own saint: Santa Camilla Battista da Varano. I mentioned her in an earlier post. She has a great story! For celebration, 8 women (one portraying Camilla) dress up as nuns and process to the St. Clare Convent in town that St. Camilla founded, and guess what...I was one of those women! How fun right?! It involved a lot of standing, waiting, and walking but it gave me ample time for reflection and allowed me into the visiting section of the cloister to look around. But as far as being in the celebration goes, processing through the streets placing myself in Camilla's shoes was quite an experience. She was of noble birth but left everything for The Lord when she heard His call. What courage to go against everything that was expected of her and that afforded her such luxurious comforts rare in a renaissance world. What love she must have had for The Lord to make this decision and what confidence and confirmation He must have given her to know that it was the path designed especially for her. How encouraging this is for us to seek out The Lord and the life He has created for us. What comfort it is to know that, by following God's will, Camilla reached supreme joy on this earth even through the renunciation of worldly pleasures. How much joy is waiting for us at the end of our "yes" to God's will! His love is all we need and with His love we can do anything. As The Lord tells us in today's gospel: "in the world you will find trouble but take courage for I have conquered the world."
Now, I have to run because the roomies and I are cooking pasta for supper and then cosy-ing up in the common area to watch a (American) movie. Ciao! (20:18, mia casa a Camerino)
The 6 chosen ones...
 
The costume makers were awesome!




No comments:

Post a Comment