Wednesday, April 30, 2014

So good to me

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life. John 3:16
It's amazing how my prayer life has increased my awareness of  God's presence and work in my everyday life. I am often surprised at how good He really is to me. From the smallest to the largest things, He never fails to show up and it's only now that I am starting to consistently recognize this fact. But isn't that how relationships are supposed to work? I often fall into the trap that my prayer life consists only of my investment but the Good Lord invests way more in me than I can ever hope to invest back in Him. And that's exactly the way He wants it.

Let's look at an example shall we?

Last week I was researching Camerino, the Medieval Italian town that will be my June home. Here is just a few things I found out: It is the seat of an Archdiocese, the Cathedral is a 3 minute walk away from my University according to google maps and in the same Piazza according to google maps street view (there are countless other churches and monasteries in the area too), the one saint from the town is a Poor Clare and lived during the Renaissance. Now, let me explain more. One of my main concerns about studying abroad was being able to continue my daily mass and prayer routine. Okay...I know what you're thinking: I'm going to Italy - there are literally churches everywhere. I know but my stubbornly anxious heart still worried about it. So, to take care of me, Jesus arranged for me to study next door to the Bishop where mass is held almost hourly. Thank you Jesus. Also, I took a Renaissance and Reformation Europe class as my last History class for my minor this semester. For that class, I did a semester long project on Saints Francis and Clare of Assisi, the founders of the Franciscans and Poor Clares. Upon reading further about St. Camilla Battista da Varana, of Camerino, I recognized many names from my class and realized quite delightedly that all semester, the Lord had been preparing my heart (and my head) for this very place that He had guided me to choose for my study abroad experience. How kind of You Lord.

There are so many other encounters of this nature, some smaller, some larger and many that certainly go unnoticed. It's such a beautiful thing to run into one of these during the day. No matter what, He is the ultimate, unwavering cause of my joy and when things seem to be getting rough or going in an unfavorable direction, I have only to trust in His promise to be with me always. This alone is enough to bring a smile to my face and peace to my heart but just to prove that He really is the Perfect Man, He likes to go over the top and lavish me with wonderful signs throughout the day that spell "I love you." (Hint: He does this for you too). And guess what Jesus, despite my frequent inability to properly express myself, I love You too. Increase my love for You and awareness of Yours for me.

Which brings me to another one of my goals/challenges: recognize the workings of the Lord more. He always shows up. We just have to pay attention.
But whoever lives the truth comes to the light, so that his works may be clearly seen as done in God. John 3:21 
Step into the light. Acknowledge God's workings in your life. Thank Him for it. And give Him the Glory. 

Appropriately so, I've found this song on the tip of my tongue often these days, and I am happy to share it with you.


All Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit
 as it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be
 world without end. 
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Such beautiful insight from a beautiful woman. I can't wait to see the pictures from Italy and the insight you will bring to us from abroad. Much love and tidings to you, friend.

    ReplyDelete