Sunday, December 6, 2020

Lead, Kindly Light


The above pictured candle has burned on two occasions: my baptism (March 7, 1993) and my consecration (December 7, 2019).

I count it as a special gift, that my sister Kalin chose my baptismal candle as that which would be the symbol of the consecrated life during the Mass in which I gave myself to the Lord as His bride.

It is a candle that I grew up with. Not only symbolically, in the sense that it was present since the beginning of my Christian journey but also practically: it was always on display in my bedroom. The famous candle that was never again lit…until the day of my consecration!

To have these two most important events of my life connected through a common candle is not necessary but a nice touch. The events would have been connected anyways through something much more profound: their nature. It is in our baptism that the seed of our vocation is planted. A vocation that is first and foremost a call to love God and neighbor. A love that, with time, takes on its own unique form, in some shaping into marriage and in others, as in my case, into consecrated life. And it is through this vocation that we continue to live ever more fully and more personally the promises of our baptism.

As I reflect on this first year of consecration, I find within me a desire to be led by the light of that candle. The light that represents the Light of Christ that has shone long before my existence and will shine on long after. The Light that gave life to a candle of a baby girl not yet aware of the loving gaze of the Father that would bring her to the altar 26 years and 9 months later as a living offering to the Son with the promises of Chastity, Poverty, and Obedience that she is able to live only with the help of the Spirit.



Today, in thanksgiving and praise, I make mine the beautiful words of St. John Henry Newman.


Lead, Kindly Light, amidst th'encircling gloom,

Lead Thou me on!

The night is dark, and I am far from home,

Lead Thou me on!

Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see

The distant scene; one step enough for me.

 

I was not ever thus, nor prayed that Thou

Shouldst lead me on;

I loved to choose and see my path; but now

Lead Thou me on!

I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,

Pride ruled my will. Remember not past years!

 

So long Thy power hath blest me, sure it still

Will lead me on.

O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till

The night is gone,

And with the morn those angel faces smile,

Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile!

 

Meantime, along the narrow rugged path,

Thyself hast trod,

Lead, Saviour, lead me home in childlike faith,

Home to my God.

To rest forever after earthly strife

In the calm light of everlasting life.

No comments:

Post a Comment