Monday, February 1, 2016

Some Simple and Beautiful News

As the title of this blog alludes to, I have some simple and beautiful news to share with you all, and I do so with great delight and a full heart!

Last November 30, I mailed off a letter to my superior, Sr. Susan. This letter contained both my simple and honest experience in the community so far as well as my desire to continue the journey to become an Apostle of the Interior Life, thus formally asking to be transferred to Rome to begin Philosophy classes at the Pontifical University of St. John Lateran next Fall.

On January 1, Sr. Susan hand delivered her response which I read with great joy and peace. Before opening the letter, I must admit that I basically knew of its contents. I had no details but through interaction with the community and confirmation in prayer, I had no doubt that I would be moving to Rome. It was more of the exact timing that I was unsure about.

According to the letter, I will be shipping off to Rome "after June 21". In fact, just the other day, I bought a ONE-WAY ticket to Rome for June 23! Isn't that something?! A one-way ticket to the Eternal City! My wildest dreams could never have prepared me for this reality!

In the meantime I will finish the semester here in College Station continuing the rhythm of life I described in my Christmas newsletter with an added emphasis on legal documents in order to secure my student visa and other necessities for living as a foreigner in a country across the ocean.

In the immediate time leading up to my departure, I will be at home in Hallettsville spending a good 3 weeks with my family who have graciously accepted and encouraged me in this adventure that the Lord continues to invite me on. They are very strong both humanly and spiritually and the love shared between us has only increased, but I know that this is difficult for them, as it is for me. Separation is never easy especially when the distance cuts out spontaneous visits and the time difference eliminates the ease of communication. Please, in a special way, keep them in your prayers seeing as they too are living in a time of transition and preparation.

As I share this news with friends and family I keep encountering variations of the same response: "Wow! That's exciting!" And, you know, it very well is 'exciting' but even more than that, it is 'normal'. It's my life. It's not only what I have been walking towards now for even longer than my official time living with the community but it is at the core of the desire I am recognizing in my heart more and more to be united to our Lord in the way that only a consecrated person can.

Saying all of this, I continue to be grateful for the journey that is entailed in preparing oneself for such a gift of self to the Lord. It is not something to be taken lightly nor nonchalantly. So, rather than impatiently "enduring" these years leading up to the possibility of taking vows, I eagerly embrace them as a blessing that allows me to better know God and thus better know myself. It is in this time that I am truly discovering who I am and who He has created me to be. My desire is simple. I just want to be His. 

I ask for your continued prayers as I enter into this time of transition and preparation for the next phase of discernment. But in a deeper way, I ask for prayers that my heart be increasingly opened to the new ways in which the Lord desires to love in and through me.

Thank you for your constant support. I truly do believe that the daily grace that I receive to continue my walk toward the Lord comes in large part through your prayers.

God bless you all,
Cherise :) 

The Sisters I will miss so much next year!!


No comments:

Post a Comment